In honor of National Puppy Day, we’ve compiled a few fun facts about our furry friends.
• 47 percent of U.S. households have at least one dog as a pet, that’s about 83.3 million dogs.
• Lady and Bear top the list of popular dog names.
• The largest dog breed is the Irish Wolfhound and the smallest is the Chihuahua. In fact, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, the title of “World’s Smallest Dog” goes to a chihuahua named Milly.
• Dogs can understand up to 250 words and gestures.
• A dog’s sense of hearing is much keener than humans. They can hear sounds from four times the distance humans can, and their noses are about one million times more sensitive than humans’.
• Puppies sleep 90 percent of the day for their first few weeks.
• The average dog sleeps 10.1 hours each day.
• The earliest dog fossil dates back to 12,000 B.C.
• The phrase “man’s best friend” dates back to a poem printed in in 1821.