According to AAA, nearly 35 million people are expected to travel this Labor Day weekend. If you plan on traveling with your pet, check out these tips to help make your vacation enjoyable for everyone.
1. Call ahead to make sure your hotel allows pets and if so, what additional fees are charged.
2. Keep your pet safe in a well ventilated crate or carrier.
3. Prepare your pet for a long car ride by taking short rides several days before the trip.
4. Be sure to take appropriate breaks to allow your pet to stretch his legs.
5. Make sure your pet can be identified and returned to you if lost.
6. Never leave your pet in an unoccupied car. Temperatures inside a car can be several degrees warmer or colder than the outside.
7. Make your pet comfortable on the trip by bringing along his favorite toy or blanket.
8. Don’t forget to pack plenty of food and bottled water for your pet as well as any medications.
9. Make sure to research your vacation destination to identify a veterinarian or animal clinic in case of emergency.
10. Know the rules and requirements for pets not only at your hotel, but other attractions you may visit while on vacation.