Five Tips to Keep Your Pets Safe This Christmas


The holidays are a fun and joyous time for the whole family – including your pets – but if you’re not careful, the holidays can also be a dangerous time for pets. Check out these five tips to keep your pets safe this Christmas.

1. Keep pets away from tinsel and gift wrap ribbon.  Shiny tinsel and ribbon are attractive to your pets, especially cats. The tinsel and ribbon themselves aren’t toxic, but eating them could be extremely dangerous for your pet as they can become wrapped around the digestive tract.

2. Make sure your pets don’t chew on the holiday lights. Chewing through the cords has the potential to cause electric shock.

3. Keep chocolate goodies away from your dogs. Dogs who eat chocolate often experience vomiting, diarrhea but some can even experience tremors and seizures and heart palpitations.

4. Don’t let your pets get caught underneath the mistletoe. Holly, mistletoe and poinsettia can cause digestive problems for your pet and may cost you a trip to the vet.

5. Opt for shatterproof ornaments. Glass ornaments are beautiful on your tree, but can be a hazard to climbing pets. Broken glass can cut your pets’ paws.